Lawyers AND ATTORNEYS - All Services! All Areas!

Johannesburg & Pretoria/Gauteng, Cape Town/Western Cape, Durban/Kwa Zulu Natal

Get Legal Help Now!

Immediate Action Request

Use this form to request a call back or an email within 1 working hour from our office.

Please complete the reCAPTCHA to help us reduce spam and to complete the form sending process.

About Us

Professional Legal Services is an extensive legal website network. Our team offers brilliant rates, responds within 1 working hour and most importantly, will look at the person or businesses needs in context of the matter at hand and customize care for that specific client. We consult on preventative measures in addition to defending or mitigating a case. Our objectives:

  • We want to offer legal support to more people,
  • Offer better rates,
  • Build long term relationships with clients.

Give us a try.

You can make contact today via, or

Our service provider partner. is currently in an exclusivity agreement with Dhooge Law: a multidisciplinary boutique legal practice offering value-based bespoke legal solutions. Our firm’s expertise lie in the fields of property law and conveyancing, wills and administration of estates, all aspects of civil and commercial litigating, family law, as well as commercial and company law. Commitment to our Client’s needs is the fundamental principle upon which the firm was founded in 1998. Our vision is to develop lasting relationships with our Clients and offer general and specialised professional services tailor-made to their specific needs.


Get legal help now!

Book an E-Consult Online


What is UIF?

Information extracted from the internet, not original of this website:

Unemployment Insurance Fund contributions are deducted and paid over on a monthly basis. UIF provides short-term payment to workers who are unemployed, or cannot work beacuase they are on maternity leave, ill, etc.

Employers have to regsiter with the UIF. Complete the UI-8 form and fax it to 012 337 1636. UIF will provide you with a registration number. Registration must be done within 14 days after becoming an employer.

The employee contributes 1% and the company contributes 1% every month. You need to pay over the contributions by the 7th of each month. If you pay over tax to SARS, then complete the EMP101 form and pay the UIF as part of your monthly EMP201 payment to SARS. If you are not registered with SARS, then pay UIF directly.

In addition to monthly payments, you need to declare your contrbutions to UIF. On Liquid, you can electronically submit this declaration to UIF (so, no need to complete those UI-19s manually). This declaration gives UIF all the information they need in terms of new and existing employees as well as employees leaving your employment.

You can claim unemployment benefits if you have been dismissed or retrenched or if your contract has expired. You cannot claim if you have voluntarily resigned from your job.

You can claim illness benefits if you are off work due to illness for two weeks. Benefits are paid from the date on which you stopped working.

Maternity benefits can be claimed if you are pregnant and take maternity leave. You can take maternity leave at any time from four weeks before the expected date of birth and you may not work for six weeks after the birth.

You can claim adoption benefits if you legally adopt a child younger than two years old and you leave work to look after that child. Only one of the adopting parents can apply for benefits.

The wife/husband or minor child of someone who has died can claim death benefits if the deceased paid contributions to the Fund.


If you have been contributing to the Fund for four years or more, then you can claim for up to 238 days. If you have been contributing for a shorter period, then you can claim 1 day for every 6 days that you worked while you were contributing to the Fund.

If you take maternity leave, you can only claim up to 121 days.

The Fund pays a percentage of the wage/salary that you earned while you were contributing to the fund. The highest amount that can be paid is 58% of what you earned per day.


If you have used up your benefits and you are still unemployed or you are still ill, you can apply to have the UIF benefits extended.

If you are still unemployed, you need to complete form UF139 listing all the places where you have tried to find work. This form must be submitted to the Department of Labour.

If you are still ill, you need to fill in form UF140. Your doctor will have to complete the medical certificate that forms part of this application.

If the Department of Labour thinks that there are good reasons for you to get more benefits, then they will approve the application, but this does not happen often.

It may help if you can show that:

  • the identity of both parties
  • You are actively looking for work.
  • You depend on the UIF benefits for necessities like rent, food and water.
  • You had contributed to the fund for more than four years.
What is UIF